9th August 2014 - Match Reports.

Bromsgrove vs BGCC 1sts BGCC 3rds vs Kempsey 1sts

Green triumph over local rivals thanks to impressive partnership from Curtis and Hardinges            


BGCC 1st XI travelled the short distance to face Bromsgrove with the two teams at different ends of the table.  Captain Andy Ford returned to lead the Green knowing a win could lift really lift the team.


Bromsgrove won the toss and chose to bat, perhaps wanting 24 points to aid their chase for promotion. Newdick and Dodd came to the crease looking to post a big target to put pressure on the Green. Bromsgrove set off at a decent pace, despite the best efforts of Mark Hardinges and Alex Hepburn, reaching 5 in the 11th over with a flick off his legs for 4 from Newdick. Jon Dovey replaced Hepburn as the Green put more pressure on the batsmen. This pressure finally told when they attempted a second run to Chris Smedley in the covers. As he picked up and threw it in, the batsmen collided and George Rhodes calmly threw the ball to the bowler’s end for Hardinges to take off the bails with Dodd (15) stranded.


Cordes joined Newdick with the score on 67-1 in the 15th over. Newdick passed his 50 soon after and continued to be the more aggressive batsmen as Cordes struggled to get going. Another four from Newdick, this time through 3rd man, brought up the 100 in the 37th over – showing just how much the run rate had dropped. Dovey struck next as Cordes (18) was caught behind as Ash Brewer dived full length.  This brought Levitt to the crease and Andy Ford came on to replace Hardinges.


Newdick continued hitting out, taking 3 fours off Ford, and had reached 75 when he was dismissed in a rather unfortunate fashion. Levitt hit a fine straight drive and bowler Dovey stretched down and got a hand on it – the ball struck the stumps and Newdick was run out backing up. With Bromsgrove 117-3 in 29th over, Levitt and new batsmen Underhill had time to build a partnership and they took the score passed 150 as Underhill hit a fine square cut for 4. The partnership had reached 50 when Dovey struck again as he clean bowled Underhill for 18.


Dovey took a break after 14 overs straight, to be replaced by Chris Smedley. And it was he who made the next breakthrough in his second over. Overseas youngster Wiffen (6) miss-hit one to be caught by Jack Mackintosh at mid-on. Meanwhile Ford was bowling tightly at the other end and in his 13th over got reward for his efforts. Green was on 25 (having taken 18 off the previous Smedley over) when he miss-judged one from Ford to give him a straight-forward caught and bowled.


With 5 overs remaining the Bromsgrove batsmen threw caution to the wind. Levitt had made 54 when he holed out to Hardinges at mid-off, to give Dovey his third wicket. Ford grabbed a second wicket as Evenson was caught by Golder at long-on for 8. Ford and Dovey limited Ganderton and Whiles to 1s and 2s in the last 3 overs as Bromsgrove finished 243 for 8 in 55 overs.


The familiar partnership of Andrew Curtis and George Rhodes started the Green innings but this time both batsmen showed more purpose. They kept pace with the run rate despite some pacey bowling from Whiles and Wilkinson - although neither bowler threatened the stumps and arguably bowled too short. Bromsgrove turned to spin in the 12th over and Ganderton made a double impact in the first over. Rhodes was caught by Levitt at mid-on for 17 and just 3 balls later Alex Hepburn holed out to Underhill at mid-off without scoring.


Alex Milton joined Curtis with the score on 40 and both batsmen batted confidently. The Green passed 50 soon after as Curtis hit a boundary through the covers. Milton had also hit some fine boundaries and reached 28 of just 34 balls when he was caught by Green off Evenson. This brought Mark Hardinges to the crease, with the travelling fans hoping to see both batsmen bat to their full potential. They weren’t disappointed as this partnership was a pleasure to watch. Both batsmen looked to score off every ball, combining fine boundaries with well-judged singles as they put pressure on a visibly dejected Bromsgrove.


Hardinges gradually accelerated and once he passed 50 he really opened up. He bought up the Green’s 100, 150 and 200 all with giant straight sixes as they moved smoothly to victory. Curtis was eventually dismissed in the 49th over – his maiden BGCC league century of 104 included 13 boundaries. Hardinges stroked his 10th four off the next ball to win the game and his 88 not out also included 4 sixes. The Green finished 246 for 4 off 49.1 overs and took a vital 24 points from the game.







Barnards Green Cricket Club 3rd XI vs Kempsey Cricket Club 1st XI

Barnards Green win by 4 wickets 20 points, Kempsey 3 points

After 13 weeks of the season and their previous fixture falling foul to the weather Barnards Green and Kempsey finally met both hoping to maintain their unbeaten status, something that only one side would be able to boast after this Win / Lose match.

Kempsey Skipper Zak O’Neil won the toss and elected to bat on what turned out to be the best cricket wicket most had seen this season.

First use of the new ball on this fast and bouncy wicket was the responsibility of Tim Williams (1-30) and Matthew Brookes, Kempsey openers Ohren and Hussain looked to have varying game plans, Ohren whilst watchful put the bad ball away while Hussain looked to attack any delivery regardless of line or length. This approach was not fruitful as Brookes castled Hussain for 16.

Williams bowling off the long run extracted bounce and pace and bowled an intimidating opening spell and was rewarded when Tim Clarke plucked a one handed catch from over his head to dismiss Ohren for 21. This bought the O’Neil brothers together, Sam looked composed and at ease with the bowling and hit the cover boundary 5 times before falling to first change bowler Ian Scullion (3-37) who hurried him with a shorter pitched delivery and was well caught by Stewart Hepburn at Midwicket for 24 only to be followed straight back by his brother to the same bowler, again caught by Hepburn but this time diving full stretch. The Kempsey Skipper was back in the pavilion for 0 and at 66-4 the Green were on top.

Off spinner Dave Sutton had been introduced from the pavilion end and bowled with great control but no luck as he toiled away sporting a black eye from a previous dropped chance in the slips, even through the swelling, he cost just 27 runs from his allotted 10. During which time Simon Dorrell was quietly going about his business showing real composure and respect that was otherwise lacking in the Kempsey order and built a top scoring 50 off 90 balls.

Leading wicket taker Hepburn’s involvement in the game was short lived as 8 balls after being brought on to bowl had a half volley drilled back at him and as he spilt the chance he immediately left the field for hospital where a confirmed broken finger was little consolation for the dropped chance. With confusion in the Law regarding a substitute fielder and with Kempsey unwilling to allow a substitute the Green faced 20 big overs with just 10 men and Hepburn’s overs to find elsewhere.

Skipper Jez Clarke (4-24) replaced Off Spin for Leg Spin at the pavilion end and immediately found good bounce and turn and with this success as he proved too much to deal with for the Kempsey middle order accounting for; Dorrell excellently caught by Williams at mid-wicket, Robinson again well caught by Clarke off his own bowling, Akhtar by Williams at slip and Fayyaz by Dan Metcalfe at long on.

With an extensive tail on offer it was left to returning left-armer Brookes (2-35) to account for Baker seeing Kempsey all out in the 48th over for 172.

With past experience of shaky run chases the Green took a tentative tea but backed the experience and depth of their batting line up.

Kempsey who were aware of this were enthusiastic and the opening attack of Raheel Lone and Sam O’ Neil was fuel for this as they bowled with pace and movement not experienced previously this season. However, with a modest total to chase on a good wicket with a fast outfield, the Green knew that seeing the new ball off was key; and it was down to Rob Tyler and Duncan Cooper to achieve this. Unfortunately Cooper was bowled neck and crop by Lone for 0 and Tyler caught in the slips off O’Neil for just 6.

Further disaster followed as Sutton was sent back by Sam O’Neil (2-34) for 0 and so at 11-3 it was down to the experience of Jez Clarke & Tim Williams to rebuild, this looked in control as Clarke looked untroubled on his way to 20 until he chased a wide delivery from Lone (2-32) and was caught by Robinson.

Tim Clarke also looked in good touch until missing a full toss to be bowled by Fayyaz (1-22) for 21, during this time Tim Williams was settling in to what would turn out to be a match winning innings. Between leaving and fending off the shorter pitched ball he cut and drove his way to 50 and the Green reduced the deficit to under 100 the only question would be if he could be supported by the previously fragile middle order. Dan Metcalfe answered this in no uncertain terms as he took time to adjust to the conditions and the excitable atmosphere generated by the visiting side he soon became at ease and built an important 30.

Skipper O’Neil brought his self into the attack (1-46 of 5.5 overs) and had Metcalfe caught at mid-on with just 25 runs required. With the opening bowlers returning the job was not yet complete but Graham Baddely was solid in defence and it looked as though Hepburn returning from Hospital would not have to bat.

Williams was now in full flow and had his eye on completing the job as he duly did finishing with an invaluable 68 not out from 89 balls including 12 x 4’s with 11 overs and 4 wickets to spare. Barnards Green travel to Old Elizabethans next week hoping to maintain their unbeaten run.