Barnards Green cricket Club Match Reports.



12th July 2003

Worcester Nomads

 vs Barnards Green 3rd XI

12th July 2003

Barnards Green Singles

vs  Cutnall Green





Saturday saw Barnards Green 3rd XI visit the glorious Ghost Meadow at Colwall to take on Worcester Nomads on a steaming hot afternoon. Electing to bat, Nomads got off to a disastorous start losing Ranscombe bowled around his legs by Liam Paddock off the second ball of the game.  Skipper Keeley and Massey sought to rebuild the innings, but on 14 Keeley nibbled at Hacking and was caught behind.  Rob Tyler clean bowled Kelly, before  Dave Price deceived both Massey and Dexter with a mixture of cunning and guile to clean bowl both batsmen.  A smart piece of work in the field saw the demise of Davis for 4 and Taylor was well caught by skipper Bob Rogers foloowing the introduction of Paddock who also accounted for Staford to finish with 3 for 15.  Jamie Longmore polished off the tail with Emson well caught by Knapper and the dangerous Brown, hitting his own stumps as Nomads finished on 127.
This was never going to be enough and despite a slow but solid start, Lee Dyment (8) and Liam Paddock (29) took the score to 40 before Dyment played back to a good length ball and was bowled.  Paddock follwed suit on 57 and Dave Knapper (23) and Cyril Dean (50no) took the Green within sight of victory before Knapper was Lbw to Taylor.  Patrick Jelley and Dean then saw the Green comfotably home for 24 points with Dean scoring an excellent 50 despite the bags under his eyes.  Next week the Green take on Bewdley.



vs Barnards green 1st XI


Last Saturday Barnards Green visited Martley in this division 3 1st XI game.  On a glorious day with a wicket which looked as if it would break up Rich Williams won the toss and elected to bat first.  The Green had the worst possible start when Williams himself was caught behind without scoring to a ball which bounced sharply.  Drinkwater soon followed to leave the Green 27 for 2.  Dan Flynn played some exquisite shots before he dragged the ball on, leaving Smedley and Tim Clarke to repair the damage.  Both played with great patience and were quick to climb into any loose bowling.  Clarke was just getting into his stride before he was adjudged leg before for 36.  Smedley completed a well deserved half century including 6 boundaries.  When he and Richards both fell in quick succession the Green had slumped to 156 for 6.  Further trouble was looming when Doughty, Scullion and Churchill all chipped catches back.  The Green then found themselves 163 for 9 with still 6 overs to bat.  Tim Williams and Graeme Glendinning managed to bat through the final overs and with some late boundary hitting from Williams (36no) were able to add 35 in 6 overs to leave the Green on 198 for 9 at the close. 

The Green struck a blow early in the Martley innings when Drinkwater ran Basford out with a superb direct hit.  Hopkins and Grove both followed soon after to catches behind the wickets off Scullion and T. Williams respectively.  The Green had to work hard for the next wicket which came due to a huge piece of fortune.  Tim Clarke deflected a return drive off his own bowling onto the stumps and Ganderton was well out of his ground.  Birchley followed almost immediately and Martley were restricted to 90 for 5.  Some late hitting got Martley into the game and in with a chance of victory.  However a run out and a steepling catch by Rich Williams in quick succession meant Martley needed 35 off 3 overs with 3 wickets in hand.  Tight bowling by Scullion insured that the Green were not going to lose.  However the drama was not complete.  Tim Williams clean bowled Vale and Wood in successive balls in the final over to leave 3 balls to win the game.  The experienced Kyte was able to guide Martley through to the draw though.  The Green picked up 15 points and remain in a group of teams chasing leaders Victoria.  This weekend the Green travel to second placed Belbroughton, whom they are 15 points behind.  The Green make only one change with Jez Clarke returning to the top of the order to replace injury victim Rich Williams. 
















In the battle of the ‘Greens’ it was Cutnall who emerged victorious with an emphatic ten wicket victory over the ‘singles’ as local run machine Neil Fletcher smashed a chanceless 147 not out to see his side past the 217 run target.Freeman won the toss and had no hesitation in electing to bat on a superb wicket and under a cloudless sky. His decision seemed vindicated as he and Genever got off to a positive start, Freeman in particular was severe on anything full and when it dropped short he demonstrated the cut to great effect. He and Genever soon saw off the openers but first change Higgins had Freeman out first ball when he edged behind for 24. A fine partnership developed with Steve Beavan finally finding some form with an imperious innings crashing the ball to all parts. He and Genever added 67 runs as Genever serenely accumulated 28 before he to fell to a catch behind. Beavan fell soon afterwards when adjudged to have been bowled by Evans for 43. A period of consolidation followed as Mat Brookes and newcomer Willie Hale set about repairing the innings. Hale became Evans second victim but Brookes found an ally in Marc Jones. Both batted sensibly with Brookes judicious in his stroke selection. As had happened throughout the innings wickets fell at the wrong time, Brookes went for 18 requiring the further repair to the innings. Jones upped the tempo with a series of crashing legside hits but he succumbed to Faulkner (4 –49). The veteran bowler took advantage of some late order hitting and when Spencer went for 15 to Evans (3 – 47) it was a case of the singles posting a score in excess of 200. A young tail ensured that this was to happen as Jonathon Lewis and Rich Leech both hit out to good effect but a target of 217 looked woefully short.After an excellent tea and liberal amounts of sunblock applied to ample girths of the slip cordon it was down to dismissing the Cutnall batters. An excellent opening burst from Leech and Brookes certainly looked promising for the singles. Fletcher and Higgins were more than watchful but Fletcher was quick to seize on anything fractionally short or full. Freeman attempted to stem the runs by deploying sweepers to all parts but Fletcher elected for the arial route narrowly missing a hot air balloon straying in the Newland area. The bowlers were rotated regularly but all came in for the same harsh treatment. The closest the singles came to a wicket occurred when youngster Mike Genever was disappointed to see his dad Chris put down Higgins. In fairness this was the only fielding slip by the singles all afternoon, Jones covered miles as he swept the boundary and Lewis was exemplary behind the stumps as Fletcher continued to power his way towards the target. Unnoticed Higgins passed fifty as he deposited two into the adjoining field. Leech (9 overs for 27) was brought back and he stemmed the run flow as Fletcher showed his true maturity as a batsman and Leech showed great heart in trying to achieve the desired breakthrough. Brookes came back in an attempt to gain some semblance of respectability. His figures were ruined by his final over as Fletcher realised that the next over was to be bowled by Freeman or Jones and this prospect forced him to smash the necessary twenty runs for victory and see his side comfortably home.





Main Index