Barnards Green Cricket Club.Match Reports.



August 13th 2005

BGCC Singles vs Badsey

At 12:20 it started to rain, at 13:00 all players bar one were assembled and keen to play. At 14:20 it stopped raining and the Captains agreed a start in ten minutes. Badsey changed and phone calls to Clive Churchill telling him we were about to start. 14:25 it started to rain, this time harder. Texts to the unbelieving Churchill meant calls to Percy at Hewell to get to Newland a.s.a.p. An early tea and the rain had stopped the pitch playable, the skippers got together. If we play we play to a finish; it is thirty overs aside no matter what and its heads. It was and Badsey elected to bat, their skipper convinced the sun would beat down and the Green would struggle on a drying wicket. 

George Cowley threw the bat at everything giving Brookes some tap but giving the chances as the ball flew in the air, sometimes through hands others just evading the fielders. Doughty bowling line and length get the score down. Brookes removed Westmacott for 14 but the score was racing along at 8 an over. Skipper Freeman rested Brookes bringing on Sanders. Sanders’ impact was immediate, removing the dangerous Cowley for 51 and then N Powell for 11. Doughty then got amongst the wickets, Metcalfe taking a skier at slip, much to the relief of White. Curtis then took the first catch all season at gully, the only other chance at gully he dropped earlier in the innings and the Green were back in the game. Doughty, 3 for 52 off 12 and Sanders (3 for 28) now slipping in the crease made way for Brookes and Clarke for the final six overs. Clarke economical, 1 for 7 off three and Brookes was twatted all round the park [see news item Brooker’s bits] 2 for 50 off 9 meant the Green were chasing 142 for victory. 

Confidence was high in the changing room and Freeman and Doughty, once they got used to the footings made steady progress, Freeman missed a straight one and Beavan nicked a wide one but Curtis and Doughty were scoring heavily tasking the score to 64 in the tenth over. At this point skipper Dave Powell opted for experience, bringing himself and Cowley on to bowl. Both took the pace off the ball, both bowled just short of a length and Doughty perished to a fine catch in the covers to the impressive fielding of Gizbourne for 43. When Curtis perished for 18 Badsey took a strangle hold on the game. Metcalfe and Brown opted for safety but the rate rose alarmingly. With seven overs remaining the rate had climbed to 8 an over, Brown decided now was the time but ten off a Powell over was followed by a fine catch at long off. Metcalfe stroked three boundaries but he too perished in the deep for 18. The middle order had no answer to the ever increasing run rate as the Green subsided to 110 for 9 with three overs left. If the Green were to salvage any advantage on the other teams they needed to bat out and secure the losing draw. Spiers blocked his side to the brink and with one ball remaining elected to run a bye bringing Simon Clarke to face the last ball. He did safely to secure six points for his team.  

Credit must be given to Badsey for wanting to play and for ‘outwitting’ the Green and fully deserved the winning draw. Meanwhile Churchill enjoyed Manures victory and Ratters is back next week!