Barnards Green cricket Club Match Reports.





May 14th  2005

Highley vs BGCC Singles

BGCC 2nd’s vs Kidderminster Victoria

The ‘Singles’ embarked on the long trek to Shropshire to take on last season’s runners up Highley. Those in Jason Brewer’s car had the added bonus of a tour of the back streets of St Johns. A much changed Highley greeted the players, gone was the wooden pavilion to be replaced by a Sports Centre. The wicket and outfield were still the same and Ratcliffe lost the toss and found his team asked to bat.

Jon Lewis went to the first legitimate delivery of the day bringing Andy Wheeler to the crease. Freeman meanwhile struggled to find the ball. Wheeler was soon aiming big shots down the ground and broke his bat in the process. His new blade was soon peppering the boundary and with the fielders now patrolling the outer perimeter he went arial clearing all before him and landing in a builders skip. Freeman meanwhile struggled to beat the infield. With Wheeler bludgeoning the home attack the scoreboard raced towards 50 and then in the eleventh over Freeman got off the mark. Wheeler smacked the next delivery for six and in trying to repeat the shot skied a catch to mid off to depart for 49. Freeman contributing one to a stand of 54. White didn’t last long and Freeman now took a shine to the change bowlers and started to score heavily before he holed out to Walford for 27. Brewer and Ratcliffe pressed on adding 51 runs in good time, Ratcliffe peppering the off side with regularity until a cut to point saw him depart for 23. Brewer was looking well set but he too found a fielder with a square drive to go for 39 and the innings was in danger of imploding. James Curtis, down the order due to an eye disorder, but with monocular vision had the foresight to nurse the tail. He received excellent support from Brown and the score crept ever closer to the magical 200. Brown went for 11 but Curtis now farmed the strike and a further 20 runs were added with Spiers. Curtis now opened up and 20 runs came off the last three overs to set Highley a challenging 223 for victory with Curtis 40 not out.

After an excellent tea in the leisure centre the ‘Singles’ were in confident mood. Hill was his miserly self but Spiers was having an off day as three good balls were followed by three that were dispatched with ease to the fence. He did remove MacClean for 15 but this brought Walford to wicket. Steele started to attack and the pair quickly had Highley scoring freely, albeit from one end. Hill was rested after an excellent opening but the ‘Singles’ struggled to close one end. Rich Brown replaced Hill and was soon into an excellent groove but still Steele and Walford plundered the bowler at the other end. The scoreboard had raced to 110 with one wicket down at drinks and the ‘Singles’ were forced onto the defensive.  Hill was brought back but it was Brown who struck when bowling Steele for 75 and in his next over removed Walford (34) when Lewis made a difficult catch look very easy from a stinging drive. The required scoring rate was hovering around six an over and Brown secured his third wicket and brought his side back into the game. Highley were now content to block out Hill and Brown, Hill 0-26 from 12 and Brown 3-35 off 12 had turned the game around. With the change bowlers on Highley scored more freely but were intent on not losing wickets. Humphries hit some lusty blows but ‘Singles’ were in control though not threatening. Spiers earned his side another bonus point when Freeman caught MacClean but the ‘Singles’ secured a winning draw with Highley some forty runs shy and the ‘Singles’ taking 14 points to Highley’s 9.

Sausage and Chips greeting the players at the local hostelry and those in Jason Brewer’s car were treated to an excursion through the Herefordshire countryside on the way home, whereby James Curtis was sure he could see the sea. As he only had monocular vision this can not be verified. As this report is written it is not known if Simon Clarke made it home as he was struggling to find a petrol station that was open.


kidderminster victoria were asked to bat first on a good pitch with a very quick outfield curtesy of groundsman Roy[daisy]Mayo.The opening pair of Lamb and Singh move quickly onto 33 before Sam spencer had Singh caught by Paddock,Matt Brookes then took 2 quick wickets leaving Kidderminster struggling at 38 for 3.Webb and Rine then began to rebuild the innings taking the score to 104 until Scullion broke the partnership when he bowled Rine for 26.Lewis Hooper then took a well deserved debut wicket when he bowled sheward for 15.At 137 for 5 and 12 overs left it looked as if the green might be set a target of 200,the belated introduction of firstly Steve Metcalfe who took 3 wickets for 9 runs and Liam Paddock 2 wickets for 14 runs,brought the Kidderminster innings to an end in the 46th over with a total of 164.Considering the quality of the pitch and fast outfield the green skipper was alot happier with this weeks bowling and fielding display.

After the week befores batting shambles a solid start was demanded by the greens skipper,Mark Hooper and Judd Doughty put the result beyond doubt with an opening partnership of 138 Hooper the first to go for 74 a fluent innings consisting of ten 4s and a 6,Doughty battled his way back into form with a patient 53.Phil Harris hit two 4s before lobbing an easy catch,this left Steve Metcalfe to dispatch the ball twice to the boundry to secure an easy 7 wicket victory with 9 overs to spare. The green gained 20 points in what turned out to be an easy victory.