Barnards Green cricket Club Match Reports.




July 16th 2005

BGCC Singles vs Highley

The top two sides in Division 5 met, with the Green on the back of successive defeats and Highley breathing down their necks. The Green emerged victorious but Highley left aggrieved at one umpiring decision that saw Doughty remain at the crease whilst Highley believed he had been legitimately caught.

Playing at home for the first time in four weeks things were very unfamiliar, the track was hard, the outfield cut we had working showers and the skipper won a toss. Highley were asked to make first use of the track whilst the Singles had a new new ball opening pair thanks to the Green’s Poet Laureate having a lie in to get those creative juices flowing. Churchill had the ball snarling at the batsmen whilst Doughty, with a more controlled line and length, had the batters fishing outside off stump. Brookes finally arrived to make the full complement and the Green was quickly in the wickets. Churchill induced an edge to see the back of Brown and the Green were ecstatic when Steele snicked one behind. Walford and Humphries set about slowly but surely building a score. Churchill 1 –41 was replaced by Brookes as the Green looked to control the match. Walford and Humphries had taken the score to 90 with a mixture of drives and glides until Brookes deceived Humphries with a legside full toss that the batter deposited into Ratcliffe’s hands. Sanders replaced Doughty and had the batsmen guessing with some aggressive bowling that culminated in side arm ‘baseball’ pitch that had square leg diving for cover. This unnerved Walford who played over a straight one to depart for 36 prompting a flurry of wickets for the Green. James was caught and bowled by Brookes and Sanders snared two more and Highley were 120 for 8. Jones took a shine to Brookes smashing 20 in one over Doughty replaced Sanders (3 –34) and immediately had the ninth wicket to return figures of 2 for 12 off 8 and Brookes extracted his revenge clean bowling Jones for 27 to return 4 for 63.

With tea not ready the Green had to face ten overs. Highley were rewarded in the second over when Freeman gave Boyce a return catch but serene progress was being made and Doughty smacked two four off Parry to ease his side towards the victory target. In the tenth over Highley experimented with Jones and his first ball accounted for Beavan and the Green were 28 for 2 at tea. A fine spread from Mrs. Ratcliffe and early showers for Freeman and Beavan saw the Green in confident mood. Ratcliffe and Doughty were making steady progress towards the target when controversy struck the proceedings. Doughty slashed at a wide half volley that saw the ball superbly caught at second slip. Doughty stayed in his crease unsure whether he had hit the ball into the ground. With every Highley player appealing to the umpire the decision was not out. Pandemonium broke out at the decision but this is cricket and the match had to continue with Doughty at the crease. He then smashed three successive boundaries and warned by the bowler that he was backing up too far and was in danger of being run out that way.  Ratcliffe’s serene progress was then undone when trapped in front for 12 and Metcalfe quickly followed. Andy Sanders strode to the crease and eased the scoreboard along with some legside hits. Doughty passed a third successive ‘Singles’ fifty to a deafening silence from the fielding side. Highley’s most effective bowler, Junior Boyce, then dragged Doughty too far forward and he was promptly stumped for 57. Sanders then struck three boundaries off Boyce to leave him with figures of 12-5-21-2 as the Green closed in on victory. Dave White now displayed his dexterity by playing on the offside scoring 11 of his 12 runs through cover. Sanders continued his onslaught with 15 runs off Walford’s second over and the winning run came next ball to see the Green home by 5 wickets with Sanders 42 not out.



Dick Brown, unanimously elected this week’s 3rd XI captain, won the toss and fielded on another warm day in Worcester. Spiers and Scullion, chosen from a pool of eight medium pacers, were expensive and unlucky as Vine attacked at once. Brown had announced that the first Green fielder to drop a catch must collect the tea money. So there was a certain clamour for the deep fine field positions, with some clever betting on wicketkeeper Perkins and Brown himself. But Robbie Lewis was on hand and not to be trifled with: Scullion found a good line against the left-handed Passey, and Lewis spilt the edge at deep gully. Although Dave Knapper had calmly pouched one at long off, he was to drop three more in increasing order of difficulty. The score rose quickly before Tom Clack showed how it should be done, accepting Passey’s low hard-driven chance at point. Spiers had claimed both openers and deserved more.

After a fine tea, Brown revealed a theory for “lengthening” his bowler-heavy batting order. Youth and solid reliability would be mixed. While his side digested tea and theory, Brown fumed eloquently on the ropes for the first ten overs. The solid youths Knapper and Lewis vied for runless strike-hogging, patting back full tosses and flailing outside off. Vine grew confident and some of the Green were openly sceptical. But after this tedious start the innings accelerated, in sharp contrast with Vine’s. When Lewis (45) and Knapper (20) had bored through their 70-run partnership of swipes and nudges and misses, Rob Tyler infuriated Vine with an ugly, edge-filled and important knock of 42. Dick Brown was his usual aggressive legside self, and the match was nicely poised when Jones bowled Tyler so that Hill arrived with 50 needed from 8 overs.

Hill took the offensive with powerful off and leg drives. Brown chanced his arm against Ball, was crucially dropped off a sitter at long-on, then lofted a straight six and a four. Vine gambled on Sandbrook’s spin, but Hill immediately smashed him through midwicket; Jones reappeared for a last effort, only to be driven and clipped to distraction. Tempers flared as Brown, combative though not elegant, edged the winning runs to the third man boundary with two overs in hand. Vine, and Brown, never discovered the abilities of the extended Green lower order, because the first five bats each made 20 or more. Every Green player contributed well to a satisfying win.


Vine 205 (44.5 overs; J Stallard 60, J Longmore 3-22)

Barnards Green 206-3 (43 overs; R W Brown 49 no, R Lewis 45, R Tyler 42)


BGCC 2nd XI vs Belbroughton

Barnards Green were determined to put in a better performance against Belbroughton who were probably the only side that had out-played them in the first half of the season. Belbroughton elected to bat on another hot July afternoon, the pitch was once again a true batting strip and the outfield well groomed and lighting quick. Ian Scullion bowled his traditional tight spell only conceding 19 runs in his 8 overs. Lewis Hooper at the other end soon had both openers struggling. He bowled Palmer for 2 then continued to cause problems to the second wicket partnership of Raybold and Pearson. Sam Spencer replaced Scullion and proceeded to bowl with great accuracy. He was unlucky to be wicketless  only concededing 19 runs in his spell of eight overs.Mark Hooper replaced his brother and soon had both batsmen riding their luck, he removed Pearson for 48 and quickly followed with the wicket of Raybold for 34.Belbroughton were 96 for 3 after 30 overs .Phil Harris bowled a tight line in his 5 overs only conceding 13 runs .The visitors were struggling against the superb bowling and fielding of the green.Only in the last 5 overs did they manage to improve the strike rate,Baggs 23 and Bateman 24 struck a series of boundries to bring their total to 222 for 6,most onlookers knew they were probably 50 runs short of a competitive score.

Goodman and Brewer opened the innings ,they both played in a positve manner driving any over pitched deliveries to the boundry,the experienced John Raybold was not allowed bowl his customary tight spell as both Goodman and Brewer dominated the visitors attack.Jason Brewer completd his half century then was stumped for the second week running,Derek Goodman reached 50 for the second time in only his second innings of the season.A fine opening partnership of 124 in 27 overs setting the home side for a comfortable victory.Mark Hooper showed his batting prowess stroking the ball to all parts ,Paddock and Rogers stayed only briefly at the wicket ,Phil Harris was well set when he holed out on the boundry for 13.Spencer scored quickly but lost his wicket to a shot which was meant to impress the gathering crowd for 24.Mark Hooper completed his 50 and continued towards the total with the aide of the unflapable Scullion.Hooper was not out 60 another fine innings ,as the green reached their target with seven overs and four wickets in hand.Another 24 points gained.

A thank you to the match day sponsor "THREE OF A KIND HAIRDRESSING"



After last weeks under par performance Barnards Green travelled to old rivals Belbroughton with high hopes of raising the standard.

After winning the toss the green were optimistic as skipper Smedley inserted the home team on a dubious multi coloured track.

The only promising part of the day as far as the green were concerned was Harrisons early wicket a slight comeback of form. From that point on Belbroughton dominated every part of the game. As the innings went on and the home side piled on the runs the atmosphere built up amongst the green players and suddenly this game had the edge everyone was expecting. But it was Belbroughton who kept ‘their bottle’ as Catches were dropped and the fielding was yet again lacklustre.

Wicket Keeper Nightingale (122 not out) hit the ball to all parts whilst taking his side to 270 for 3 well supported at the end by skipper D.Hayward (41 not out) and earlier in the innings by 15-year-old L. Hardy (66)

The Green sat down to tea and for once too many times this season relied on their strength in the batting order in order to take 20 points home.

Drinkwater and Lewis departed early both nothing shots to nothing balls that should have been well left alone.

Flynn survived and early caught behind only to chip one to mid off and with Golder following him for less than 20 the Green were in trouble.

Skipper Smedley fought hard with Tim Clarke to re build the innings, home captain Hayward rotated between bowlers Farmer (3-59) Hawk (2-26) and other 2nd choice seamers and the pair dealt with these as well as the verbal abuse from the notorious Vocal Nightingale, until this abuse ‘crossed the line’ and it was necessary for the umpires to step in and calm matters down, this did not however help the caldron atmosphere and shortly T.Clarke  found himself back in the shack ‘another bad shot at blame’

Binks then accompanied Smedley before Smedley perished caught behind by Nightingale for a gritty 39. Jez Clarke Came to the crease in the 39th over and although the target of 270 was still along way off at 130 for 6 the losing draw total of 204 still looked a possibility…. Until Binks hit one down long ons throat and at 142 for 7the only aim left to the green was to ensure the gap between the two sides was not compromised by not giving Belbroughton a sniff at the 24 points.

It was left to Jez Clarke and Tim Williams to safely and comfortably bat out for the draw for the remaining 7 overs of the game, whilst Hayward tried all bowlers including himself to dislodge the more than competent pair and the fielders tried more ‘lines of wisdom’ in a hope to entice an irrational shot but the green finally finished on a miserly 168 for 7 Clarke 16 not out Williams 9 not out.

On a day where big in roads could have been made in the promotion race Barnards Green let themselves down where they were out played out classed and out bottled by a enthusiastic gutsy Belbroughton side.

The Green stay top of Division 2 by just 4 points and will look to get back to more familiar ways against Kidderminster Victoria at home this Saturday.