16th August 2014 - Match Reports.

BGCC 1sts vs Harborne BGCC 3rds vs Kempsey.


Comfortable win for Green lifts them up the table.


Harbourne were the visitors to North End Lane this weekend with the Green hoping to record back to back wins for the first time since the beginning of May.


Harbourne won the toss and on a damp and soft wicket unsurprisingly chose to bowl first. George Rhodes and Andrew Curtis opened the batting once again and took a little time to adjust to the conditions. Rhodes started to attack both opening bowlers Land and Sen so Harbourne made a change bringing on Paull. This change had immediate effect as Curtis (2) was adjudged lbw bringing Alex Hepburn to the crease. He and Rhodes were pegged back by Paull and Polius and the run rate dropped slightly. Hepburn brought up the 50 in the 16th over with a fine cover drive for four and this seemed to spark both batsmen into action as they combined quick singles and boundaries.


The score had reached 97 in the 25th over when Hepburn scampered down the wicket to take on Ali Khan but missed and was bowled for 31. Alex Milton joined Rhodes and his first scoring shot was a push through mid-wicket for 4 to bring up the 100. Unfortunately he fell next over for just 6 when he was trapped in front by Land.

Mark Hardinges was next in and out as he was the victim of a dubious decision; given out lbw for 15 off Polius. Andy Ford came and went as he skied one to be caught by keeper Perry at backward point.


The Green were 139 for 6 with 13 overs remaining as Kev Golder joined Rhodes who had reached 70. Golder did a fine job supporting Rhodes and this pair put on 76 in just over 10 overs. Rhodes claimed his second century of the season in spectacular fashion as he hit Paull for a huge straight six. Unfortunately he was unable to bat through as he was clean bowled by Land for 103; his innings of 119 balls included 9 fours and 3 sixes. Ash Brewer (1) tried his signature shot but was caught on the deep mid-wicket boundary. In the final over Kev Golder was clean bowled by Franklin for a very valuable 30. Chris Smedley and Jon Dovey (9 off 3 balls) took the Green to 229-8.


The Green opening bowlers Mark Hardinges and Alex Hepburn made life difficult for Franklin and Clifford early on and Hepburn made the first breakthrough. Clifford (1) was well caught by Andy Ford at wide first slip. Mark Hardinges then claimed two wickets in two overs. First Franklin was bowled for 15 then Parker (0) edged one to Ford at second slip. Harbourne were 38-3 in the 11th over. Randhawa was joined by Polius and this pair looked dangerous. Jon Dovey replaced Hepburn and it was he who broke the partnership when he trapped Randhawa lbw for 35. After his innings in the previous game the Green knew Polius was the key Harbourne wicket to get.  Chris Smedley joined the attacked and claimed this wicket with his first ball. He let go what could only be described as a loosener which Polius (23) miss-judged completely - he skied it and was caught by Jon Dovey at mid-wicket.


Harbourne were 83-5 off 19 overs with Paull and Lloyd at the crease. This pair kept up a good run rate with singles and the odd boundary as they tried to rebuild the innings. Andy Ford brought himself on and he too made a breakthrough with his first ball as he clean bowled Lloyd for 15. The Green spinners Ford, Smedley and Rhodes put pressure on skipper Sen and Paull and the run rate fell. It took them 10 overs to put on 29. Finally the pressure told with Ford claiming wickets in consecutive overs. Paull (15) was caught as Rhodes at mid-wicket jumped and plucked it out of the air then Perry was trapped in front for 3. Hardinges returned to the attack and finished off Harbourne. Rhodes took his second catch – this time at point – to dismiss Sen. But catch of the day was Ash Brewers – brilliantly diving full length one handed to dismiss Ali Khan for 11. Harbourne were bowled out for 161 in the 39th over. Hardinges finished 4-19 and Ford 3-32 in a fine bowling and fielding performance from the home side. BGCC’s 20 points see them leapfrog over Harbourne into 5th but there is only 3 points separating 5 teams.


Next weekend in the league the Green play second-placed Wolverhampton away on Saturday and host Shifnal on Bank Holiday Monday. Also on Sunday they compete in the Worcestershire County Cup finals day. Its BGCC v Ombersley at 9.45am with the winner playing either Bromsgrove or Stourbridge on New Road at 4.30pm.









After 13 weeks of the season and their previous fixture falling foul to the weather Barnards Green and Kempsey finally met both hoping to maintain their unbeaten status, something that only one side would be able to boast after this Win / Lose match.
Kempsey Skipper Zak O’Neil won the toss and elected to bat on what turned out to be the best cricket wicket most had seen this season.
First use of the new ball on this fast and bouncy wicket was the responsibility of Tim Williams (1-30) and Matthew Brookes, Kempsey openers Ohren and Hussain looked to have varying game plans, Ohren whilst watchful put the bad ball away while Hussain looked to attack any delivery regardless of line or length. This approach was not fruitful as Brookes castled Hussain for 16.
Williams bowling off the long run extracted bounce and pace and bowled an intimidating opening spell and was rewarded when Tim Clarke plucked a one handed catch from over his head to dismiss Ohren for 21. This bought the O’Neil brothers together, Sam looked composed and at ease with the bowling and hit the cover boundary 5 times before falling to first change bowler Ian Scullion (3-37) who hurried him with a shorter pitched delivery and was well caught by Stewart Hepburn at Midwicket for 24 only to be followed straight back by his brother to the same bowler, again caught by Hepburn but this time diving full stretch. The Kempsey Skipper was back in the pavilion for 0 and at 66-4 the Green were on top.
Off spinner Dave Sutton had been introduced from the pavilion end and bowled with great control but no luck as he toiled away sporting a black eye from a previous dropped chance in the slips, even through the swelling, he cost just 27 runs from his allotted 10. During which time Simon Dorrell was quietly going about his business showing real composure and respect that was otherwise lacking in the Kempsey order and built a top scoring 50 off 90 balls.
Leading wicket taker Hepburn’s involvement in the game was short lived as 8 balls after being brought on to bowl had a half volley drilled back at him and as he spilt the chance he immediately left the field for hospital where a confirmed broken finger was little consolation for the dropped chance. With confusion in the Law regarding a substitute fielder and with Kempsey unwilling to allow a substitute the Green faced 20 big overs with just 10 men and Hepburn’s overs to find elsewhere.
Skipper Jez Clarke (4-24) replaced Off Spin for Leg Spin at the pavilion end and immediately found good bounce and turn and with this success as he proved too much to deal with for the Kempsey middle order accounting for; Dorrell excellently caught by Williams at mid-wicket, Robinson again well caught by Clarke off his own bowling, Akhtar by Williams at slip and Fayyaz by Dan Metcalfe at long on.
With an extensive tail on offer it was left to returning left-armer Brookes (2-35) to account for Baker seeing Kempsey all out in the 48th over for 172.
With past experience of shaky run chases the Green took a tentative tea but backed the experience and depth of their batting line up.
Kempsey who were aware of this were enthusiastic and the opening attack of Raheel Lone and Sam O’ Neil was fuel for this as they bowled with pace and movement not experienced previously this season. However, with a modest total to chase on a good wicket with a fast outfield, the Green knew that seeing the new ball off was key; and it was down to Rob Tyler and Duncan Cooper to achieve this. Unfortunately Cooper was bowled neck and crop by Lone for 0 and Tyler caught in the slips off O’Neil for just 6.
Further disaster followed as Sutton was sent back by Sam O’Neil (2-34) for 0 and so at 11-3 it was down to the experience of Jez Clarke & Tim Williams to rebuild, this looked in control as Clarke looked untroubled on his way to 20 until he chased a wide delivery from Lone (2-32) and was caught by Robinson.
Tim Clarke also looked in good touch until missing a full toss to be bowled by Fayyaz (1-22) for 21, during this time Tim Williams was settling in to what would turn out to be a match winning innings. Between leaving and fending off the shorter pitched ball he cut and drove his way to 50 and the Green reduced the deficit to under 100 the only question would be if he could be supported by the previously fragile middle order. Dan Metcalfe answered this in no uncertain terms as he took time to adjust to the conditions and the excitable atmosphere generated by the visiting side he soon became at ease and built an important 30.
Skipper O’Neil brought his self into the attack (1-46 of 5.5 overs) and had Metcalfe caught at mid-on with just 25 runs required. With the opening bowlers returning the job was not yet complete but Graham Baddely was solid in defence and it looked as though Hepburn returning from Hospital would not have to bat.
Williams was now in full flow and had his eye on completing the job as he duly did finishing with an invaluable 68 not out from 89 balls including 12 x 4’s with 11 overs and 4 wickets to spare. Barnards Green travel to Old Elizabethans next week hoping to maintain their unbeaten run.