21st June 2014 - Match Reports.

Stourbridge 3rdsvs BGCC 3rds Wellington vs BGCC 1sts


A much changed BGCC 3rd XI travelled to Stourbridge hoping to extend their unbeaten run.
Skipper Clarke won the toss and this week decided to have a bowl first.

A youthful side with James Curtis the elder statesman at just 34 started extremely brightly with Openers Hepburn & Zak Marsh conceding just 25 off the first 10 overs.

It was the introduction of Joey Endacott that saw BGCC break through as he had Captain Colesby well caught by his opposite number Jez Clarke in the gully for 11.

While Hepburn toiled at the other end the slow nagging line of Endacott struck again in the following over, this time Clarke again at gully, diving one handed to dismiss Khalid for a duck.

Endacott had done his job and Spinners Jez Clarke & Tim Clarke replaced Australian Hepburn and Gloucestershire based Endacott (4-0-2-11)

Endacott found himself again in the action this time diving low to his left to dismiss opener Patel off the bowling of Tim Clarke for 11

Tim Clarke (13- 1-2-58) struck again soon after bowling round the wicket extracting an edge from Ludlam where Jez Clarke was again on his toes this time taking a sharp catch left handed at first slip.

Skipper Clarke (11-1-1-38) rotated the bowling and swapped ends with T Clarke and immediately found more spin which stemmed the flow of runs that Stourbridge had started to build abley led throughout by Norgrove who eventually fell bowled by returning young opener Marsh (6.1-1-2-19) for 74.

Marsh finished off the tail with a middle stump Yorker that was too good for tail ender Rehman as Stourbridge closed on 175 all out in the 49th over.

After a superb effort in the field the green set about the run chase.

Rob Tyler accompanied skipper Clarke at the top of the order and they wasted no time showing the intent to knock off the total. The 50 partnership was raced to before Tyler was given out LBW for just 12.

Curtis joined Clarke who had by now seen off the opening bowling as they pushed ones and twos whilst punishing the bad ball. After 19 overs the green needed just 65 runs for victory with 9 wickets in hand when disaster struck, after surviving a previous chance Skipper Clarke was well caught in the ring for a dominant 56. Hepburn raced to 15 before falling to skipper Colesby (13-3-4-20) c losely followed by Curtis to the same bowler. Baddely and Metcalfe both ran their selves out without troubling the scorers and Lewis platt was stumped off the bowling of Khawar first ball.

After dominating the game for 75 overs the balance swung dramatically and suddenly the Green were 132-8. With over 25 overs to take 2 wickets Stourbridge were now clear favourites but young (16) keeper batsman Jack Dickenson had other ideas supported by part time batsman Endacott, he took the lead roll nudging and nurdling ones and twos, playing straight and respecting the good ball and patiently waiting for  the bad.

Over by over the Green crept closer to the finish line but when Endacott was run out for 4 after supporting Dickenson for over 10 overs the pressure was back on the Green at 149 -9 and 15 year old number 11  Zack Marsh.

Again Jack took the authority and looked experienced beyond his years as he rotated the strike and stayed solid in defence, with 12 overs to go the green were down to single figures required and with 2 runs needed spinner Khalid threw up a full toss that Marsh smashed to the square leg boundary to hand the travelling side 20 nerve jangling but well deserved points.

Dickenson finished on a heroic 19 not out and Marsh 6 not out.



Pointless trip to Shropshire for Green


Barnards Green 1st XI had a disappointing trip to Wellington CC in Shropshire.


The Green lost the toss and were put into bat on what turned out to be a difficult wicket. George Rhodes was bowled by one that nipped back without scoring by recently arrived overseas Garwe. Adam Dovey followed soon after for 3 - caught one-handed by Lamb at second slip diving to his right off O’Connor. Alex Hepburn batted well – supported by Andrew Curtis and they put on a stand of 28. But both batsmen fell in consecutive overs – Hepburn bowled by Garwe for 29 then Curtis bowled by Wagner for 5. Tapper came and went for 1 – after chipping one up to be caught at mid-off by Vaughan to give Garwe his third wicket.


This brought Andy Ford and Kev Golder together with the Green 42-5, as Wellington turned to spin. Captain Ford was next to go as he tried to hit young spinner Lloyd over the in-field but was caught by Vaughan at mid-on. Kev Golder batted solidly but unfortunately saw his partners come and go all too easily. Ash Brewer hit two fours and a lovely six before being bowled by Wagner, then Jon Dovey top-edged one from Lloyd to Rees at 1st slip. Abdul grabbed the last two wickets as Rishe Umasuthan played on and Jack Mackintosh was caught by Wagner. Golder was left not out 16 as the Green were bowled out for 80 in the 34th over.


With such a small total to defend the Green could not really exert any great pressure on Wellington. Hopes were raised as Rishe Umasuthan trapped ex-Nott’s player Neil Edwards lbw for 0 in the first over but Lamb and Glamorgan’s Gareth Rees batted comfortably as Wellington progressed towards their target. Captain Ford rotated the bowlers in an attempt to unsettle them but to no avail. Lamb was given out lbw for 25 off Alex Hepburn with the score on 77. But Rees quickly knocked off the remaining 4 runs – finishing 44 not out. The Green unfortunately took no points from the weekend and slip to 5th in the league but are optimistic with the increased availability of players for the next few games.