30th April 2011 - Match Reports.

BGCC 4ths vs Martley 2nds

After a month of warm, dry weather the much-awaited league season finally got under way on Saturday for Barnards Green Cricket Club.

With last season’s Captain, Dick Brown, being called away, Steve Hunt acquired the responsibility of getting The Green off to a solid start against visiting Martley. Winning the toss Hunt put the visitors in to face an unfamiliar attack of Robbie Tyler and Clive (Fluff) Churchill, both returning to league cricket after a lengthy absence. Both bowlers started steadily and with Tyler bowling a tight line and Churchill beating the bat at regular intervals runs were hard to come by. Frustration got the better of Martley’s batsmen as Steve Hunt and Dave Price combined to run out Adams (1) after a total misunderstanding. D Jones came to the crease and he and Sweet batted sensibly until Sweet (21) was adjudged LBW to Tyler. The experienced Ganderton perished in the same manner to Churchill and The Green knew that this was an important wicket. Zack Hunt was introduced to the attack and accounted for Stocker, who was starting to score freely before playing down the wrong line. Jones looked solid and untroubled and would go on to make an undefeated 57 but with the experienced bowling of Steve Hunt and Dave Price to call upon and Churchill returning for his second spell these three quickly killed off any Martley resistance to leave the visitors all out for 160.

In his last match against Martley Chris Horne had scored 116 and seemed determined to put in another impressive performance as he and fellow opener Robin Longmore, despite struggling at first to time the ball, produced a series of lusty blows in their quest to chase down Martley’s total. Longmore practised time and again his “late dab behind point” and just when it seemed that he had perfected the shot he played on to Upaz for 16. Dave White, batting in an unfamiliar role for an unfamiliar team came in at number three and played some delightful shots before being well caught for a quick 22. This was to be the last wicket that would fall as Cyril Dean made a welcome return to an experienced Green batting line-up and Horne and Dean blasted their way past the Martley total with only 27 overs played. Dean finished on 45 not out and Horne impressed once again with 62 not out to secure a win by eight wickets and the home side’s man-of-the-match vote.

This was a comfortable win for The Green against a Martley side missing several of their key players but both teams enjoyed the encounter and a game played in the right spirit.