30th June 2012 - Match Reports.

BGCC 2nds vs Stourbridge Brewood vs BGCC 1sts.

After a two and a half hour wait for parts of the outfield to dry Barnards Green were finally back in action on a sunny but blustery day at North End Lane versus lowly placed Stourbridge CC. Home skipper Doughty won yet another toss and invited the visitors to bat first on a green deck.Opening the bowling for the Green was Shane Thompson and James (Swampy) Marsh. Both bowled with pace and hostility, the former swinging the ball back into the batsman, the latter, nipping the ball back but both causing trouble at the ‘business end’. Thompson (9-1-27-5) performed the best of the two and bowled some outstanding deliveries whilst Marsh, struggling with the wind and a nagging injury took (5-2-14-1). Jack Cullity (6-1-10-2) made his first second team appearance of the season and bowled an excellent line and length to trouble the batsmen as wickets fell with regularity. Jack Macintosh (3-0-12-1) replaced Thompson and found the ball still swinging, enough to induce an edge to first slip where Jon Lewis held on at the second attempt. Dannie Rees (1-0-1-0) making his second eleven debut found some turn and bowled a quick but effective over before Georgia Hennessy (1.5-1-2-1) took over from Cullity and finished the innings quickly with one that nipped back off a length. Special note must go to the Green who fielded well and held all of the chances which came their way.
After tea Doughty and Rees began to chase down the well below par total of 73. Rees, looking to find form began scratchily but soon made amends by thumping the ball to leg for a couple of sixes. Doughty batted with his usual caution and was playing the supporting role until one that leapt from a length found the shoulder of the bat to provide and easy return catch for just 11 runs. Rees perished for a well worked 46, perhaps looking to force his dominance a little too much. With only a handful of runs required to win Jon Lewis (1*) and Tom Banks (6*) calmly finished the chase in only 13.5 overs.
Credit must go to the whole side who, despite not playing for the best part of two weeks, stuck to the task very well, fielded with energy and application and batted carefully and effectively. The only blot to the copybook was the total of 29 extras accrued, the second highest scorer of the day. 22 of these were wides, down the legside, and is something which needs to be improved going forward. Otherwise, this was a professional performance.

Old Vigornian 2nds vs BGCC Worcestershire 2nds. 

This match was played at the ground formerly occupied by The Vine.  The venue was more suited to growing rice than grapes but all credit is due to OVs who had obviously worked extremely hard to provide conditions where it was at least remotely possible to play cricket and with The Green having only managed two games so far this season it was pleasing to get underway.

When skipper Robbie Lewis won the toss he took the obvious step of asking OVs to bat first and batting for the home side did indeed prove difficult. The lack of pace and bounce and the long, wet grass in the outfield meant that ones and fours were the order of the day with the boundaries only being possible due to the “compact” facilities.

Young opening bowlers Zac Marsh and  Ben Alamutu started well despite the blustery conditions and it was Ben who made the breakthrough when Steve Metcalfe took a very sharp catch at slip to get rid of Meek with the score on 11. Cole (36) and Arnold (37) however showed better application as they batted according to the conditions, defending the good balls and despatching the bad and the score had moved on to 87 before Dave Price picked removed both batsmen. Captain Tim Race (21) and Andrew Howard (20) would be the only other batsmen to reach double figures but with a sizeable contribution of 29 from extras and some sloppy fielding and loose bowling from The Green OVs achieved a total of 168 – probably 30 more than they should have had.

But, never mind! On paper The Green had a very strong batting line-up and they emerged from tea in confident mood. However, as has been said many times before, you don’t bat on paper!

A mix of poor shot selection, some bat luck and an inability to adapt to the conditions meant that only Adam Greaves (18) and Steve Alamutu (19) achieved double figures this time and the ubiquitous extras top-scored with 21 as The Green crumbled and were all out for 85 and Old Vigornians won at a canter.

Thanks again to our hosts for getting the game on and for a friendly encounter played in the right spirit.

Ps… The teas provided were easily the best by any club in the last four seasons… especially the apple crumble!


BGCC Firsts travelled to Brewood relishing the prospect of this top of the table clash. With only 4 points separating the teams in the table and only 4 points between them last season a close came was expected.  

Captain Tim Williams won the toss and chose to bowl first. This looked a good decision as Brewood slumped to 20 for 2 with Tom Poole claiming both openers. First Pearce holed out to Hooper at cover for 0 then Thomason was clean bowled for 12. Bradford and Fox pushed the score to 47 before the next wicket fell. Phil Harris bowled Bradford for 18 as he yorked himself and Rawlinson was quickly sent back to the pavilion without scoring. He edged one to first slip where Tim Williams took a fine low catch also off Phil Harris. Brewood’s first 50 came up in the 19th over. Phil Harris then took his third wicket again with some excellent fielding. Southall hit one firmly only to be caught by a diving Mark Hooper at cover. His fourth wicket came in his next over when Tim Williams took another slip catch to dismiss Fox.  

Brewood had reached 64 for 6 just before the halfway point. Overseas Heyneke came in and survived a very strong lbw shout almost immediately. Jon Dovey had been bowling some good lines but failed to make a breakthrough so Chris Smedley replaced him. Chris Smedley took the wicket of Wedge when he was caught on the deep midwicket boundary by Kev Golder before Phil Harris claimed his fifth trapping Lunn lbw for 0. With Brewood 85 for 8 the key partnership of the game commenced. Heyneke and Kidson put on 60 before Heyneke was run out backing up for 50 by some smart fielding from Phil Harris at mid-on. Kidson has progressed to 36 for he fell clean bowled by Jon Dovey leaving Byrne not out on 0. Brewood had reached 156 all out in 52 overs with Phil Harris having impressive figures of 17 -2-39-5 bowling his 17 overs straight off up the slope. 

Again Adam Dovey and Mark Hooper opening the innings. They faced some intimidating short pitched bowling from Heyneke but it was Lunn who claimed the first wicket when Mark Hooper was out lbw for 0. Adam Dovey was joined by Elliot Hennessy  Adam Dovey had hit Heyneke for 3 boundaries before one of his short balls rose and hit him in the face. After a short break for first aid treatment he was forced to retire hurt on 12 and go to hospital. This brought Josh Rurawhe to the crease. Elliot Hennessy was bowled by Heyneke for 6 to leave the Green 34 for 3. Josh Rurawhe had survived being caught behind off one of Heyneke’s numerous no-balls before he mishit a cut to be caught at gully by Fox for 9. This meant Phil Harris and Kev Golder were at the wicket with Lunn and Heyneke continuing. Kev Golder called a quick run only to see Thomason pick and throw skilfully to find Phil Harris unable to make his ground despite a full-length dive – run out for 2. 

Kev Golder was Heyneke’s second victim when he was clean bowled for 5 bringing Chris Smedley to join Jon Dovey with BGCC struggling on 48 for 5. Both batsmen looked comfortable so Fox made a double change of bowling – turning to spin with Pearce and Kidson.  Immediately this had effect when Jon Dovey was adjudged out lbw for 30 off Pearce. Tom Poole featured briefly hitting one boundary before he was caught at slip by Thomason also of Pearce. Now 90 for 9 hopes rested on Chris Smedley, Ash Brewer and Tim Williams as Adam Dovey was still receiving medical treatment. Tight bowling by spin twins Kidson and Pearce added to the pressure and Brewer decided to adopt an aggressive approach. He had survived a dropped catch on the deep square leg boundary before he was out for 4 after popping one up to Pearce at mid-on off Kidson. Kidson claimed his second wicket when Tim Williams was trapped lbw for 0 first ball. BGCC were all out for 103 for 9 off 32 overs as Adam Dovey was unable to return to the game. This left BGCC with 4 points and Brewood claiming full 24 points and moving further ahead in the race for promotion.