Barnards Green cricket Club Match Reports.




5th September 2004



Bewdley vs Barnards Green Sunday 2nd XI




In the final sunday league game of the season, Barnards Green 2nds travelled to Bewdley on a glorious summers afternoon.  With several members of the team still weary from their tour of Bolton the previous week, stand in skipper Robin Longmore was not over popular when he lost the toss and had to take to the field.  However, the bowlers responded admirably and although the openers Brown and Moses put on 50 for the first wicket, they were unable to dominate some accurate bowling from Ian Bryant and Patrick Jelley who bowled superbly on his comeback after injury.  It was Jelley who took the first wicket clean bowling Brown for 21 and then Jamie Longmore produced a peach to dismiss Moses for 39 in an impressive display of 2 for 26 off his 9 overs.  The same player then held an excellent skier off the imperious Hill who became almost unplayable with his leg cutters.  Indeed only the unconventional slogs to midwicket by Meek ruined his figures of 1 for 21 off nine overs.  The long awaited return from injury of Dave Price soon accounted for Meek in a hard hitting 45 when he bowled him in his first over to pick up the first of two wickets.  Jon Lewis then cleared up the tail with two wickets and Bewdley were bowled out for 166.

Father and son Rob and Jonathon Lewis opened the Green batting and whilst senior was cautious and watchful to start, junior took control with some aggressive driving.  With the score on 88 off just 17 overs it looked as though the Lewis partnership would see the Green home, but Jon (35) miss cued a long hop to cover and next ball Andy Hoddy, who had kindly taken up the wicket keeping duties even though he couldn't keep pigeons, lobbed a wide full toss to mid wicket.  Patrick Jelley gave Rob Lewis some support before being bowled and then Rob Lewis was also caught in bizarre fashion off a wide long hop which he did well to reach, for 53.  Dave Price was back to his old self punishing anything short or overpitched, but he too succumbed to a wide half volley and was caught behind.  This brought Marek Wajzer and Chris Hill together with 43 still required.   Marek (16 no) started positively smacking his first ball over mid off for 3 before becoming a little more cautious, whilst Chris started cautiuously before opening up to finish on 23 not out and see the Green home by 5 wickets with 8 overs remaining.  Thanks go to Andrew Jelley who stepped in at the last minute and fielded resolutley in the heat